Guests: ** BONFIRE MADIGAN SHIVE, musician and mental health activist, founding member of Icarus Project, featured on ABC-TV MAD PRIDE piece. ** RUTH RUTH, theater leader and chair of MFI Mad Pride Campaign. ** ANN RIDER reports live from NARPA conference. Host is MindFreedom’s director and psychiatric survivor DAVID W. OAKS, also a psychiatric survivor interviewed on ABC-TV piece. Listen and call in live to MindFreedom Mad Pride Live Free Web Radio. Don’t miss it!
Your calls are welcome on this live web radio show on “MAD PRIDE VS. MASS MEDIA” this Saturday, 12 September 2009.
- Bonfire Madigan Shive, mental health activist and a founding member of The Icarus Project, is the musician featured on ABC-TV show on MAD PRIDE. (Photo: upper right.)
- Ruth Ruth, psychiatric survivor theater leader from Toronto, chair of MindFreedom Mad Pride Campaign.
- Ann Rider reports live from end of National Association for Rights Protection and Advocacy 2009 conference in Phoenix, Arizona with latest news.
Host: David W. Oaks, psychiatric survivor, also interviewed on ABC-TV show.
HOW TO LISTEN AND CALL-IN LIVE TO:
MindFreedom Mad Pride Live Free Web Radio
WHEN: This Saturday, 12 September 2009 – 90 minutes.
- USA: 11 am Pacific, 12 noon Mountain, 1 pm Central, 2 pm Eastern
- UTC/GMT: 6 pm [18:00]
- London/Dublin: 7 pm [19:00]
- Berlin: 8 pm [20:00]
- New Zealand: 6 am
AT THAT TIME CLICK HERE to listen and call in LIVE (or click after the show to hear archives):
Your live calls, questions, comments, are welcome!
MAD PRIDE vs. MASS MEDIA
You’ve heard of GAY PRIDE? Make room for MAD PRIDE.
But it looks like big corporate media is getting a case of the nerves about mad pride.
ABC-TV did a segment on Primetime Outsiders about MAD PRIDE on 25 August 2009, featuring an interview with activist Bonfire Madigan Shive. Unfortunately, ABC-TV distorted the message about Mad Pride and — like so much mass media — luridly sensationalized violence by a few people with psychiatric labels.
For an open letter to ABC-TV producer Ia Robinson from David Oaks, click here:
This Saturyda’s web radio show is your chance to talk back!
Listen in and speak out about MAD PRIDE, MASS MEDIA, and CREATING OUR OWN MEDIA through arts, music, theater, activism.
Info on guests:
- BONFIRE MADIGAN SHIVE is a mental health activist who has personally experienced the mental health system. She is a founding member of The Icarus Project. “Bmad” as she is known to fans is a musician who speaks out about MAD PRIDE. Madigan is also a visionary cellist, vocalist, composer, performing artist, cmmunity activist and international touring musician from the United States. See her web site here: http://www.bonfiremadigan.com/
RUTH RUTH (photo on right) is one of the leaders in Mad Pride activities in Toronto, Canada. Images from their Mad Pride events — including drumming, banners, bed push — made it onto the ABC-TV piece. Ruth Ruth is a community theatre director with The Friendly Spike Theatre Band a community theatre for psychiatric survivors and people with disabilities. The Friendly Spike is celebrating their 20th anniversary! Ruth Ruth is a part time disability studies student at Ryerson School of Disability Studies. See info on Friendly Spike Theater here: http://www.friendlyspike.ca/
- ANN RIDER is director of Recovery Empowerment Network in Phoenix, Arizona. She helped organize this year’s main annual conference of advocates and activists to change the mental health system, the National Association for Rights Protection and Advocacy (NARPA). Directly at the end of the conference, Ann reports live with the latest news. NARPA is a founding sponsor of MindFreedom International. More info: http://www.narpa.org
The host is MindFreedom director DAVID W. OAKS (lower right) for bio see:
Again, to listen live or hear archives later, click here:
And mark your calendar for every Second Saturday in 2009 for MindFreedom Live Free Mad Pride Radio!
Support Mad Pride?
Then Support MindFreedom International.
MindFreedom International is one of the few totally-independent nonprofit organizations in the mental health advocacy field, with zero funding from the mental health system, governments, drug companies or religions.
That means YOUR membership and donation are CRUCIAL to MindFreedom International’s campaigns for human rights alternatives.
Join or donate now:
Times are tough, so that makes it even more important that each and every person give what he or she can.
Benefits include MindFreedom Journal, special web and e-mail networking, discount on http://www.madmarket.org purchases, MindFreedom Shield, member services office… and a nonviolent revolution in mental health.
Mind Your Freedom!
Donate, join now or renew early here: