PHILADELPHIA, Thurs., 1 Nov. 2012: MFI held this successful special event to help participants learn about, discuss and build connections and resources for alternatives to and within the mental health system. [updated 4 Nov 2012]
German author Peter Lehmann was one of the speakers at this successful MFI event, held on 1 November 2012.
You will hear from several exciting speakers — Susan Musante, Peter Lehmann and Oryx Cohen — who have created working alternatives to the oppressive practices people may have received from the mental health system.
There will be time for you to discuss what you are learning with other conference participants, to share your thoughts at an open microphone, and to attend workshops with the speakers, as well as additional presenters who work with alternatives.
Together, we are building a movement of those who are using and developing new, self-directed, ways to heal ourselves, and you can be part of that!
You Are Invited to a Creative Revolution:
Mobilizing Our Healing Resources
When: Thursday, November 1, 2012, from 11:00 am – 6:00 pm
Where: Philadelphia Airport Marriott Hotel
Note: This is the day before the International Society for Ethical Psychiatry & Psychology (ISEPP) conference.
- For alternative convenient ways to register and pay – online, phone, postal mail or fax – see below or click here.
- A light lunch will be served from 12:45 to 1:45 pm, and is included in the $50 registration fee.
- No refunds after October 15, 2012 for cancelled registrations.
- Sponsored by MindFreedom International, organized by the Choice in Mental Health Campaign.
More About the Speakers at “Creative Revolution: Mobilizing Our Healing Resources”
- Susan Musante is from Alaska, USA (photo right). Susan is the Project Manager of , a non-profit in Alaska whose purpose is to provide an effective, non-coercive alternative to traditional hospitalization for people diagnosed with serious mental illness. Ms. Musante is trained in both Mental Health and Vocational Rehabilitation, having worked in many aspects of both fields for many years. Ms. Musante has twenty-five years of experience and education in management, direct service, consultation, training, program evaluation and development for behavioral health systems.
- Peter Lehmann (photo right) is from Berlin, Germany. Peter is a psychiatric survivor and co-founder of several alternatives to the conventional mental health system. Peter is editor of , and the co-editor of . Peter is an independent publisher, author and freelance activist of humanistic antipsychiatry. ( )
- Oryx Cohen, from Massachusetts, USA. Oryx was the Director of the MindFreedom Oral History Project, and was a participant. He has helped develop peer support networks and works with hearing voices groups. He also founded the in Northampton, the Pioneer Valley’s only support/activist group run by and for people labeled “mentally ill.” Currently, he is the Technical Assistance Center Director at the . He is also an avid basketball player, golfer, hiker, and writer. ( .)
How to Register for Creative Revolution
You may secure your place and pay your $50 registration fee (which includes lunch) in any one of these convenient ways:
• ON THE WEB securely with any credit card via MindFreedom’s Mad Market, click here:
• PHONE the MFI office with your credit card and ask for LaTonya: 541-345-9106.
• POSTAL MAIL a simple form with your credit card info, check or money order. Just download and print out that PDF form by clicking here.
• FAX a simple form with your credit card info. Just download and print out that PDF form by clicking here.
- For more info on MindFreedom International go to: http://www.mindfreedom.org
- For more info on ISEPP and their conference go to:
- For more info on the Creative Revolution event email or phone the office at 541-345-9106.
The volunteers in the MFI Choice in Mental Health Committee are looking forward to meeting you (or re-uniting with you) at our special conference…