Dissident psychologist, author and playwright PAULA CAPLAN, PhD was guest on this Live Free MindFreedom Web Radio Call-in Show. She tells us why psychiatric labeling can be harmful, and why she is speaking at a protest of the American Psychiatric Association. Host: David Oaks.
Above: Paula Caplan is a psychologist and playwright who is helping to lead the charge to challenge the American Psychiatric Association.
This was another successful MindFreedom Live Free Web Radio show! The show has been edited to remove a technical problem at the start.
Below is the original announcement, just use the same link to hear the archive.
This Saturday, 11 February 2012, at 2 pm ET, 11 am PT, your calls are welcome on this live free MindFreedom web radio show.
At that time to listen and call in live – or later to hear archive – click here:
Special guest PAULA CAPLAN is helping to lead the charge to challenge the American Psychiatric Association labeling.
Paula J. Caplan, PhD has many qualities:
- A clinical and research psychologist, who has questioned the mental health industry for decades.
- Activist, playwright, screenwriter, director, and actor.
- Author of 12 nonfiction books. Her latest book, When Johnny and Jane Come Marching Home: How All of Us Can Help Veterans, uncovers the way too many people traumatized by war are told that that makes them “mentally ill.” Her book won the 2011 American Publishers Award for Professional and Scholarly Excellence (PROSE Award) in the Psychology category.
- She helps challenges psychiatric labeling, including psychiatry’s new proposed label bible DSM 5. Paula will be a speaker at a protest of the American Psychiatric Association on 5 May 2012, for more info click here.
- Her award-winning play, CALL ME CRAZY, is a comedy-drama about psychiatric diagnosis that was rave-reviewed in its Off-Off-Broadway production. She has written three plays about war veterans, one of which — WAR&THERAPY — deals with vets and diagnosis.
- Recently, because of her alarm about what is happening with psychiatric diagnosis, she convened the PLAN T Alliance, which she will tell us about and which you are invited to join. You can sign their petition here.
- Her websites are psychdiagnosis.net, paulajcaplan.net, and whenjohnnyandjanecomemarching.weebly.com
- You can write to her through her Paula J Caplan blog on the Psychology Today Website (contact web form is at bottom; links to recent blog posts on right).
- HOST: David W. Oaks (right) is a psychiatric survivor and director of MindFreedom International, based in Eugene, Oregon. David plans to get to Philly for the ‘five-five’ peaceful protest, especially because the APA will be adopting it’s newest label bible, the “Diagnostic and Statistical Manual 5.” To learn more about the host click here.
How to listen and call-in live:
At the start of the show, 2 pm ET or 11 am PT, go directly to the Blog Talk Radio site hosting the monthly “Second Saturday” show, here:
There you can listen and call in LIVE, or hear the archive later.
Call-in Number: (646) 595-2125
YOUR live calls, suggestions, questions are encouraged.
Tips About How to Listen and Call-in Live, or Hear Archive Later
You can listen and call-in live and free by either computer or phone from anywhere in the world.
WHEN: Saturday, 11 February 2012 – 60 minute show
- USA: 11 am Pacific, 12 noon Mountain, 1 pm Central, 2 pm Eastern
- UTC/GMT/London: 7 pm [19:00]
- Berlin: 8 pm [20:00]
- Auckland: 8 am
Ask questions by phone, or e-mail questions to email@example.com
Can’t get to a computer that day? No problem! You can use the call-in number just to listen, like a teleconference:
Online, you can join a live chat.
You can also call in via your BlogTalkRadio web site or Skype. For tips on calling via Skype for free, click here.
MindFreedom International is one of the few totally-independent nonprofit organizations in the mental health advocacy field, with zero funding from the mental health system, governments, drug companies or religions.
All are welcome. While a majority of MFI’s members identify as psychiatric survivors, members include family members, advocates and concerned mental health workers.
That means YOUR membership and donation are CRUCIAL to MindFreedom International’s campaigns for human rights alternatives.
Join or donate now:
Benefits include the MindFreedom Journal, special web and e-mail networking, discount on http://www.madmarket.org purchases, MindFreedom Shield, member services office… and a nonviolent revolution in mental health.
Mind Your Freedom!
Donate, join now or renew early here: