14 January 2012 Show: Mental health consumers, psychiatric survivors, mental health professionals and other allies are protesting the American Psychiatric Association. Special guests: Ann Rider from Arizona, Debbie Plotnick from Philadelphia, and dissident psychologist Brent Robbins, who is leading one of the petitions against DSM-5. With your live calls. Boycott Normal! Host: David Oaks.
Above: Psychiatric survivor/mental health consumer ANN RIDER from Arizona will be one of the speakers at the Philadelphia protest of the American Psychiatric Association, and a guest on MFI Live Web Radio.
This was another successful MindFreedom Live Free Web Radio show, which you can hear now hear free on archive here:
For show info, here’s the original announcement:
This Saturday, 14 January 2012, at 2 pm ET, 11 am PT, your calls are welcome on this live free MindFreedom web radio show.
Why should YOU protest the American Psychiatric Association (APA) wherever you are, when they meet in Philadelphia on 5 May 2012?
Listen and call in live to a MindFreedom Mad Pride Live Free Web Radio show.
Special guests will be in Philly:
BRENT DEAN ROBBINS, PhD, (photo on right) Director of Psychology Program, Associate Professor of Psychology Point Park, Secretary of Society for Humanistic Psychology, and member of the “Open Letter Committee” which created an online petition about DSM 5. About 10,600 have signed, 8,000 of whom are mental health professionals. You can sign the petition here:
- ANN RIDER lives in Phoenix, Arizona, and will fly into Philadelphia to protest the APA Annual Meeting. Ann lived a psychiatric and substance abuse history. She is now a national leader for hiring mental health consumers and psychiatric survivors to provide peer support. She is on the newly-elected board of the National Coalition for Mental Health Recovery. Ann founded and directs Recovery Empowerment Network (REN).
- DEBBIE PLOTNICK (right) is one of the hosts encouraging people to get to Philly to peacefully speak out about changing the mental health system. Debbie is Director of the Advocacy Division at the Mental Health Association of Southeastern Pennsylvania.
- HOST: David W. Oaks is a psychiatric survivor and director of MindFreedom International, based in Eugene, Oregon. David plans to get to Philly for the ‘five-five’ peaceful protest, especially because the APA will be adopting it’s newest label bible, the “Diagnostic and Statistical Manual 5.”
At the start of the show, 2 pm ET or 11 am PT, go directly to the Blog Talk Radio site hosting the monthly “Second Saturday” show, here:
There you can listen and call in LIVE, or hear the archive later.
Call-in Number: (646) 595-2125.
About the Host:
YOUR live calls, suggestions, questions are encouraged.
Tips About How to Listen and Call-in Live, or Hear Archive Later
You can listen and call-in live and free by either computer or phone from anywhere in the world.
WHEN: Saturday, 14 January 2012 – 90 minute show
- USA: 11 am Pacific, 12 noon Mountain, 1 pm Central, 2 pm Eastern
- UTC/GMT/London: 7 pm [19:00]
- Berlin: 8 pm [20:00]
- Auckland: 8 am
Ask questions by phone, or e-mail questions to
Can’t get to a computer that day? No problem! You can use the call-in number just to listen, like a teleconference:
Online, you can join a live chat.
You can also call in via your BlogTalkRadio web site or Skype.
MindFreedom International is one of the few totally-independent nonprofit organizations in the mental health advocacy field, with zero funding from the mental health system, governments, drug companies or religions.
All are welcome. While a majority of MFI’s members identify as psychiatric survivors, members include family members, advocates and concerned mental health workers.
That means YOUR membership and donation are CRUCIAL to MindFreedom International’s campaigns for human rights alternatives.
Join or donate now:
Benefits include the MindFreedom Journal, special web and e-mail networking, discount onpurchases, MindFreedom Shield, member services office… and a nonviolent revolution in mental health.
Mind Your Freedom!
Donate, join now or renew early here: