Here’s a news release from Australia about their successful 2007 Mad Pride events in Sydney.
For immediate release
26th September 2007
SYDNEY MAD PRIDE YOUTH EVENT
Wednesday October 10
The Factory Theatre, Enmore
6pm – 11pm
South Sydney Youth Services and Mission Australia’s Creative Youth Initiatives are proud to present the inaugural SYDNEY MAD PRIDE YOUTH EVENT to be held on Wednesday October 10 at The Factory Theatre Enmore.
This unique event will showcase the creative work of young people experiencing coexisting mental health and substance use issues – referred to as Dual Diagnosis, while offering the public an opportunity for insight into their stories of resilience.
The SYDNEY MAD PRIDE YOUTH EVENT program has been built from an initial invitation made last month to individuals and organisations across NSW to present outcomes from their creative projects. This program will include:
- SHORT FILMS made by the residents of the City Women’s Hostel and Richmond Fellowship, young film makers from Urban Arts Base and Reach Out, including the finalist short films from the national Bean Bag film project;
- PERFORMANCE by Julia Phillips and Kate Sherman, including an indigenous welcome and dance ceremony;
- VISUAL ARTS by Bankstown Youth Development and the national Bean Bag photographic project;
- MUSIC by MC Suna, Matt Ryan and Trigger including the Sounds of the Street band from Mission Australia’s Creative Youth Initiatives;
- And SPECIAL GUEST APPEARANCE BY DJ Samrai
The program will also include forums, information and special guest speakers and ambassadors from key agencies in the mental health sector in NSW.
SYDNEY MAD PRIDE YOUTH EVENT is a community development initiative that has been inspired by the international movement of Mad Pride. The event exists to celebrate the creative potential of young people who access mental health services in NSW and to breakdown the stigmas associated with dual diagnosis.
MAD PRIDE will be held during Mental Health Week and offers the only youth specific event in the states calendar.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
South Sydney Youth Services
02 9318 0539