The original statement by the Fast for Freedom in Mental Health to the American Psychiatric Association, National Alliance for the Mentally Ill and the US Office of the Surgeon General sparked an important exchange of letters and statements on the validity of the biochemical model of mental illness.
Archived timeline of events from the Hunger Strike is available on the Way Back Machine. The highlights are shared below.
- Original Statement by the Fast for Freedom in Mental Health (July 28, 2003)
- Response from Executive Director of NAMI (July 29, 2003)
- Strikers and Scientific Panel Respond to NAMI (August 4, 2003)
- Response from APA (August 12, 2003)
- Scientific Panel addresses APA claims (August 22, 2003)
- APA statement on “Diagnosis and Treatment of Mental Disorders” (September 26, 2003)
- Scientific Panel replies to APA statement (December 15, 2003)