Each year for 14 years, an international radio show marathon is transmitted over the air and now on the web globally, featuring voices and stories from many people who are homeless. The show sometimes asks MFI to suggest guests for a segment about the intersection of mental health issues and homelessness. The 2011 show – based in Kansas City and 14 hours long – will feature an hour on this topic, with help from MFI members Corinna and Delores (thanks).
|When|| Feb 23, 2011 04:00 PM to
Feb 24, 2011 06:00 AM
|Attendees||All welcome, especially homeless.|
|Add event to calendar|| vCal
The following info is from director Jeremy Weir Alderson (who goes by the name of “Nobody”) and the Homeless Marathon. For more info – including how to hear the marathon wherever you live and for contact data – use the
During the 14-hour marathon there will be an hour entitled, “What Is Mental Health and How Do We Get It?” for the 11 p.m. to midnight hour, Central Time. It will be televised by Free Speech Television, on channels 9415 of the Dish Network and channel 348 of DirecTV and also on the web at.
What is the Homelessness Marathon?
The Homelessness Marathon is an annual 14-hour radio broadcast featuring the voices and stories of homeless people from around the United States The Homelessness Marathon features live call-ins all night long via a national toll-free number. The Homelessness Marathon is available for free to all non-commercial radio stations.
The 14th Annual Homelessness Marathon
The 14th Annual Homelessness Marathon will originate from Kansas City, MO, starting at 6 p.m., central time, on the evening of February 23, 2011, and ending at 8 a.m., Central Time, on the morning of February 24, 2011.
Our hosts on the ground will be Care of Poor People, Inc. and Hope Faith Ministries. We will originate from the Hope Faith site at 705 Virginia Ave. in Kansas City. Our hosts on the air will be Kansas City’s 100,000 watt community radio station, KKFI.
- The radio broadcast will be on a long list of stations that are listed on our website under “Where To Listen.” In KC, the entire broadcast will be on KKFI, 90.1 FM.
- The television broadcast will be on the internet at and .
- The television broadcast will be available on channel 9415 of the Dish Network and channel 348 of DirecTV.
- The television broadcast will be available on a list of cable television stations that will be posted on our website.
- The broadcast will start at 6 p.m., central time, on the night of Wednesday, February 23rd and end at 8:00 a.m., central time on the morning of Thursday, February 24th, 2011.
- There will be two call-in numbers for the show:
- For anybody, housed or homeless – 877-NOBODY8 (877-662-6398)
- For people who are homeless, formerly homeless or afraid they’re about to be homeless – 866-LEFT-OUT. (866-533-8688)