Mental Health System
Why is the mental health system so often harmful to those it seeks to help, and what can be done to change the situation?
- Comparing Mental Health Client and Mental Health System
- Ron Unger, coordinator for MindFreedom Lane County, compares a distressed client and a distressed mental health system. There are many similarities. Ron is a full time mental health counselor in Eugene, Oregon, USA.
- Affidavit of Robert Whitaker
- An affidavit by Robert Whitaker, author of the book “Mad in America,” that details his research.
- Sources for the Truth in Mental Health Flyer
- This folder contains links to the supporting evidence behind the mental health myth-busting claims of the MindFreedom Truth Injection Mental Health Flyer. Thank you to Ron Unger for compiling these links. Ron is a mental health counselor who coordinates MindFreedom Lane County Affiliate.
- “Drug Companies & Doctors: A Story of Corruption”
- An article in the New York Review of Books which, in the context of reviewing three new books, explores the impact of financial ties between drug companies and doctors.
- Monitoring the American Psychiatric Association
- One of the most powerful and rich organizations representing the psychiatric industry in the world is the American Psychiatric Association. For instance, the APA members vote on the “Diagnostic and Statistical Manual,” which is considered the bible label of psychiatry, and which is influential internationally, such as through the International Classification of Diseases (ICD).
- 7 Reasons America’s Mental Health Industry Is a Threat to Our Sanity
- Bruce Levine is a courageous psychologist and author in Cincinnati, Ohio, who makes the connection between changing the mental health system and changing society itself. In this Alternet essay he gives seven reasons why he and many other dissident mental health professionals have chosen to rebel against their own industry. Bruce is a long-time supporter of MindFreedom International.