Here are some of the milestones in the organizational development of what has become MindFreedom International.
- 22 December 1986 – Incorporation of originating nonprofit project with start-up funding from Levinson Foundation. The goal is to publish a newsletter, Dendron, and provide a “Clearinghouse on Human Rights and Psychiatry,” to help network mental health consumers, psychiatric survivors, and supporters.
- 15 May 1990 – Publication Dendron sponsors a several-day international counter-conference and protest of American Psychiatric Association in New York City called a “Support-In.” At end of counter-conference, 13 initial sponsoring groups form a new coalition.Mental Patients Liberation Alliance in Syracuse, New York provides organizational and fiscal sponsorship.
- 8 April 1994 – Coalition is incorporated on its own as two nonprofits: Support Coalition Northwest (based in Oregon) & Support Coalition International, later merged.
- 26 October 1999 – On advice of attorney David Atkin and to streamline operations, SCN and SCI merge.
- 1 August 2005 – Official name change of all activities under one umbrella name of MindFreedom International.